Friday, April 9, 2010

Even Mo' Pimp Beats


"Gimme thirty thousand and I'll serve you some heat
I'll write your rhymes, sang the hook, and I'll make you a beat."

-Pimp C, "Life Is 2009" from Underground Kingz (Jive, 2006)

It's time, once again, for another installment of "Pimp C's Beats." (I guess that's what we can call this series as I haven't been able to think of a better name. Any suggestions?) Today's tracks are from The Vinyl Room, a 1998 Bang II Records release from Sleepy's Theme—an alias for the Atlanta, GA production team Organized Noize.

Sleepy's Theme - "Can't Let Go" | zShare
Sleepy's Theme - "Simply Beautiful" | zShare
Sleepy's Theme - "Fallin' in Love Again" | zShare
from The Vinyl Room (Bang II, 1998)

While I'm unsure about the history behind the other two, I do know a little bit about the "Fallin' in Love Again" track. It was supposed to be a part of the unreleased solo double disc album that Pimp C was working on around '98/'99. But like a lot of the tracks from that album, he ended up giving it to somebody else: in this case, Sleepy and Company. But it seems like he only gave them the beat, since he's vocally nowhere to be found on the track.

I know that a lot of the tracks from this series are only worth it for Pimp's production, but I have to say that even if Pimp didn't have a hand in the making of The Vinyl Room, it would still be worthy of your time. The tracks that Pimp produced ("Simply Beautiful") and co-produced ("Fallin' in Love Again" and "Can't Let Go") for it are the highlights in an album packed full of them. The album is just the perfect slice of '70s styled funk and soul.

[UPDATE: I completely failed to mention it (it's what I get for writing posts past midnight) but WhiteTim in the comments brought up the fact that "Simply Beautiful" and "Bump & Grill" share the same Barry White sample. Don't get it twisted though: the beats aren't the same. Pimp produced the former, while N.O. Joe did the latter.]

5 comments:

scjoha said...

I think I heard Pimp or Bun rhyming on the "Simply Beautiful" beat somewhere... I first thought it's the same beat as "Family Affair", but I think it's not. Dunno, it sounds so familiar, but can't find the song where I heard it.
Whatever. Vinyl Room is basically a Sleepy Brown solo album. The discogs entry on Vinyl Room gives Pimp full production credit only for "Simply Beautiful", he produced drums only on the other two songs.

White Tim said...

naw Bumper & Grill was produced by NO Joe and Simply Beautiful was produced by Pimp C they just use the same Barry White sample

scjoha said...

Yeah, Bump & Grill is the song I meant! Crazy that Pimp sampled exactly the same part of the BW song. It's really only the drums that differ.

J Real said...

the beats dont match i tried mixing them years ago these tracks are some of my fav pimpc shit ever i need the instrumental to falling in love again i bit and pieced together the other two

DJ SORCE-1 said...

How about Pimpin' Chad Productions as a name?

Post a Comment