Monday, March 8, 2010

Guest Spots: "Big Thangs"


Tuck f/ UGK - "Big Thangs" | zShare
from Struggling (RapBall, 2005)

Tuck is a rapper from Flint, MI. According to the blurb from the Amazon entry for Struggling he was robbed at gun point, had two brothers who were shot and killed and two other brothers who are serving 20+ year jail sentences for drug charges, and used to love 2Pac and Snoop until they played snitches in some movie, apparently. Other than that, I don't know much about him. I don't even know if Struggling is his first album or not.

"Big Thangs" is a pretty obscure collab with UGK, and it's the primary reason why I picked the album up. While Bun and Pimp sound fine over the beat, I think something was fucked up with the mixing for Tuck's verse; it sounds like he was dubbed over the track, which makes me think that the collab may be less than legit. Bun and Pimp have good verses though, so I guess that's all that matters. I also have no idea who produced the beat, as the album has no liner notes or production credits to speak of—just some shout outs and contact info on a one page insert.

[UPDATE: It seems that I was right about this collab being less than legit. Methlab points out that Bun and Pimp's verses are the exact same ones that appear on Sambow's "Time to Ball" track. I guess it's a good thing that I only paid $2.00 for this album then, ha ha.]

1 comment:

sambow said...

Just another fake ass rapper tring to make it look real.The single was put out on wax(12"), and cd,in all 50 states with inst. and vocals so it could have been mixed in any song.But the recording was done at studio 7303 in Houston were Pimp.C ,Bun and many other hip hop stars recorded.So that being said with a 3 million studio its hard to replicate quality. Sambow is the real artist with U.G.K and as for Tuck well we didet find much on him, on the internet.

Post a Comment