Friday, March 12, 2010

Five Spot @ HoustonPress.com, featuring Percy Mack

The homie Shea Serrano got in touch with me yesterday and asked if I wanted to do a little feature for his Five Spot blog at the HoustonPress.com. Five Spot is a weekly column where Shea throws up whatever tracks that he likes to listen to. Of course, since I'm featured on this Friday's post, the theme was obscure UGK tracks:
"Yo, maybe you heard, maybe you didn't, but there's some concerts and whatnot going down in A(wf)u(l)stin soon. As part of the celebrations, Bun B will be headlining this year's Noisemakers showcase.

In an interview with Peter Rosenberg, the man behind the show, Bun name-dropped Trill Connection, a blog run by Percy Mack dedicated to cataloging the vast, vast history of UGK features. For any fan of the Port Arthur twosome, it's an absolute necessity. Mack has spent the better part of a year and a half making accessible some of the rarer UGK features.

Mack isn't a Houstonian, so we tagged him with an email interview to get his thoughts on five of the more obscure UGK features. Hit the jump to see which songs made the cut."
If you're interested, you can read the rest of Shea's post here and see what five tracks I decided to talk about. I will say that I mentioned "Get Up Off Me" by BoBo Luchiano and UGK (admittedly, I talked more about how it reminds me of BoBo's unreleased UGK collaboration "High 'Til I Die" rather than the track itself) but the other four can be a surprise.

1 comment:

scjoha said...

"Bun B flowing over G-funk beats" - one of the best examples of Bun B over G-Funk is Botany Boys' "Snitches". They're not a Cali act, but the best G-funk outside Cali came from Texas (ESG's "Sailin da South" album comes to mind).

Post a Comment