Friday, February 19, 2010

Rarities/Guest Spots: Ridin' Dirty Leftovers


Unfortunately, this post probably won't be as robust as I had originally envisioned it to be. Unlike UGK's other albums, there was very little left off from Ridin' Dirty. Out of the tracks that were recorded for it and left on the cutting room floor, I've already talked about three of them: "The Southern Sound," "You Don't Know Me," and "My Bitch." After this post, it will be the last of what I know was left off the record.

UGK - "Family Affair" | zShare
from Baller Blockin' soundtrack (Cash Money, 2000)

"Family Affair" was one of the tracks from the recording of Ridin' Dirty that took the longest to surface (except for "The Southern Sound" I think) as it wasn't released officially until 2000, with the release of the Baller Blockin' soundtrack by the Cash Money Millionaires.

It's basically one of those "shout out the homies" tracks. Really laid back and mellow—some real backyard BBQ shit. Incidentally, "Family Affair" is another of the tracks where BoBo Luchiano gets a quick shout-out or mention, this time by Bun B:

"We had the first family, C and Mr. Chris Brown
My n*ggas D.J. and Leroy was puttin' shit down
My deejay Bird, BoBo, Ski Daddy, Big Mitch
J.B. and Big Bun, one crazy son of a bitch."


UGK - "Hiside" | zShare
from Southwest Riders (Sick Wid' It/Jive, 1997)

"Hiside" on the other hand was released just a year or so after Ridin' Dirty came out. It appeared on the Southwest Riders double-disc compilation that E-40 and B-Legit put out. While I should be thankful that the track saw official release at all—unlike so many other UGK leftovers—I'm at a loss as to why it was cut from Ridin' Dirty in the first place. It sounds like it would fit right in with the rest of the joints from that album.

3-2 f/ UGK - "You Wanna Ride" | zShare
from The Wicked Buddah Baby (Rap-A-Lot/Noo Trybe, 1996)

"One Day" is probably UGK's best-known track (I mean pure UGK, not a guest spot joint like "Big Pimpin'" or "Sippin' on Some Syrup") and the one that most people think of when they think of Ridin' Dirty. The weird thing about it is that it wasn't even supposed to be on the album in the first place. When UGK and 3-2 recorded the track, it was intended for his 1996 album The Wicked Buddah Baby. Another track that they had recorded together, "You Wanna Ride," was going to appear in place of "One Day" instead. But, for some unspecified reason, they decided to swap tracks.

And they rest, as they say, is history.

1 comment:

scjoha said...

That "Hiside" beat is pure fucking dope. These drums, that guitar, that whole atmosphere pimp created - incredible! One of my all-time fav beats!
and Pimp himself spits some of that trill shit on it:
The preacher got the clothes and the hoes with his dick on swoll,
Trickin all my people bankroll
I peep that shit, I read my bible at home
cause I ain't payin for that nigga's wrong

One of his best lines which shows his merciless honesty is from another Ridin Dirty song, "Hi Life":
I wish that I could tell y'aIl wore a rubber every time
But if I told you that nigga you know that I would be lyin'
And I been fuckin' pussy since the tender age of nine
It's gettin' to be a full-time job just tryin' to stay alive
Damn, Pimp C is missed.

Post a Comment