Monday, February 1, 2010

Guest Spots: "Time"


Twista f/ UGK - "Time" | zShare
from Adrenaline Rush 2000 (Innovations, 2000)

Pimp C f/ Bun B, Twista, Z-Ro - "I'sa Playa" | zShare
from I'sa Playa CD single (Rap-A-Lot, 2005)

While most of the tracks from The Sweet James Jones Stories were culled from Live From the Harris County Jail, some were taken from different sources and redone. "Time"—the only collabo that I know of between UGK and Twista—is one of those tracks.1 It initially appeared on Adrenaline Rush 2000, a compilation of various Twista tracks ("New, old, and unreleased songs" so says the CD's cover) and then a few UGK bootlegs too—for example, it appeared as "Something Going Wrong" on The Lost Tracks bootleg. It eventually showed up on The Sweet James Jones Stories in 2005, re-titled as "I'sa Playa" with an added Z-Ro chorus and remarkably, the beat by N.O. Joe remains unchanged, at least as far as I can tell.

The "I'sa Playa" single includes both clean and dirty versions, as well as the instrumental.

[UPDATE: Hit the jump to see what the Pimp had to say about the track.

Courtesy of the comments, scjoha hit me up with an interview that Matt Sonzala did with Pimp C, while he was still doing his bid. It shines a little more light on this track. Peep it:
"Well, the single was recorded in 1996 or '97. "I'sa Playa" was originally recorded for a friend of ours album. His name is N.O. Joe, he's a producer, and what happened was he ended up scrapping his album. He decided he wasn't gonna do it. So it had all three verses, myself, Bun and Twista, we were on it already. I think Twista mention something about a '97 Suburban or something on that record. That's when that record was recorded. It had a different hook. And the only thing different about that record is that Z-Ro came in and wrote that hook and you know what? It's worth a whole lot more with him on that hook than it was before. That song has been circulating on the internet since the mid-90's. It's old."
You can read the rest of the interview here. It's definitely an interesting read.]



1 "Play Hard" from the 2003 Lil' Boosie and Webbie album Ghetto Stories is another such track. It appears on The Sweet James Jones Stories with a tweaked beat and a new title ("I Know U Strapped"), but it thankfully keeps the Project Pat sample in the hook.

5 comments:

scjoha said...

Hey, very nice blog here, you've got a lotta stuff I was lookin for!
Thank you for that song, "Time". I've been looking for that ever since I read a Pimp C Interview by Matt Sonzala, without even knowing it was called "Time". In said interview Pimp talks about I'sa Playa and says it was recorded in 1996 or 97 and was intended for an unreleased N.O. Joe album. So "Time" should be that original version from back then right?
Thanks alot also for other rare gems like "you Don't Know Me". Do you have 93 Mack?

Percy Mack said...

That's some interesting info about the track; I never knew it was intended for a N.O. Joe record. If you have a link or something for that interview, I'd love to read it, especially so I can add those tidbits of info to the post.

But yeah, I assume that "Time" is the original version, or it could be a rough cut version that leaked. It's hard to tell with some of these tracks--like how I thought that the Boosie/Webbie version of "Finger Fuckin'" was the O.G., when it turns out that it really wasn't.

As for "'93 Mac," it's never been leaked. The only version of that I know is floating around is cut from that Damage Control tribute show to Pimp C that aired after he died. I do have that show, but I'm hesitant to cut it up, as the dudes who put it on requested that people not to do that.

scjoha said...

o.k., here's what Pimp says about I'sa Playa:
"Well the single was recorded in 1996 or 97. "I'sa Playa" was originally recorded for a friend of ours album. His name is N.O. Joe, he's a producer, and what happened was he ended up scrapping his album. He decided he wasn't gonna do it. So it had all three verses, myself, Bun and Twista, we were on it already. I think Twista mention something about a '97 Suburban or something on that record. That's when that record was recorded. It had a different hook. And the only thing different about that record is that Zro came in and wrote that hook and you know what? It's worth a whole lot more with him on that hook than it was before. That song has been circulating on the internet since the mid-90's. It's old."
So, "Time" has that hook by a female singer. I'm pretty sure it's the original and Twista used it later for his mixtape.
Here's the link: http://houstonsoreal.blogspot.com/2005/06/looking-for-some-summer-reading.html
It' a great interview, from the time when "The Sweet James Jones Stories" was released, and Pimp was in prison. He talks in detail about his prison life there. There's also a Bun interview.
Isn't Matt Sonzala from the Damage Control Show? I only stumbled across his blog last year, so I couldn't dl & listen to these shows. Could you post that tribute show file or wouldn't he want that as well?

Percy Mack said...

He is part of Damage Control, yeah. I think he just didn't want people chopping the tracks outta the show, so I don't think he'll mind if I re-upped the entire thing. Here it is: http://www.zshare.net/audio/725288511269d44f/

And thanks for the interview link too. I added the info to the post. Oh yeah, and enjoy that tribute show. It's three hours long, but it's a required listen, as it has a bunch of really early, unreleased UGK/Pimp C joints: "Weed Weed," "Funky Connection," "'93 Mac," all of that stuff. There's also a few interviews with Bun, Mitchell Queen, and some other dudes sprinkled between the tracks. Real interesting stuff.

scjoha said...

Cool, thanks! Now I have something to listen to on Sunday.
Keep up the good work, it's appreciated!

Post a Comment